Skip to main content

Wilks Price Hounslow


Home  About Us  Our Services  Contact Us  Links  Site Map  Member Login  Terms of Business   
Family & Childcare Law
Conveyancing & Commercial
Probate & Wills
Criminal Law
Landlord & Tenant
General Litigation
t and c
Family Divorce & Child care Law

We can assist you with both Private Child Care Divorce and Family Disputes including Residence Contact and Parental Responsibility. We also deal with Public Law child care matters involving Social Services and Care proceedings. Costs are often a concern. We will discuss this with you at your first appointment.

Obtaining Legal Aid


There is a 3 stage test.


1. Is the type of work within scope of the new Legal Aid scheme.


2. Is the case on its facts one which it is reasonable for the Legal Aid scheme to Fund.(The Merit Test)


3. Is the client financially eligible ( The Means Test)


From 1st April 2013 major changes (Cuts) to Legal Aid mean that the type of case where state help with legal costs is available has been much reduced or abolished in cases where there is no Domestic abuse or Child Abuse alleged. This affects private child care disputes between parents, arguments over money and assets in Divorce. Contact us to check you eligibility or to discuss the cost of paying on a private client basis.


Legal Aid is still available, in some circumstances including in particular for cases involving Social Services taking action about children (Public Law child care) or matters involving Domestic Abuse and Child abduction.

Follow this link for details

Legal aid for victims of domestic violence

When attending an appointment in order to allow us to assess your eligibility for public funding please bring proof of all of your means including any state benefit, with you.. We need 3 months bank statements for all accounts, pay slips, proof or rent or Mortgage payments and if you are on JSA, Income Support or ESA up to date proof no older than 28 days on the day we see you.  Details of child care costs and any other income.Failure to do so may mean the appointment is abortive.


It is a good idea to run the Eligibility Calculato Follow the link to check your position. Legal Aid civil-eligibility-calculator


If you hope to obtain Legal Aid you will need to have your proof of means information with you at the first appointment.  Without this we can not start work.

Divorce and other family problems can cause enormous worry. We strongly suggest you seek advice at an early stage so that you understand your options. In the event that your marriage has broken down and you need a divorce, please contact us.

For further assistance or advice, contact Mr Hounslow or his team on (01983) 566241 or alternatively email us with details of you case:

John Hounslow                Solicitor/Partner       


Darrell Reeve                   Personal Assistant